Sometimes I like to pretend to be grumpy. I like to pretend to look down at the world over the top of my glasses, put a little scowl on my face, and "hurumph" quietly under my breath. This really isn't my full time attitude, but I certainly enjoy it.
I often tell my wife that I can't wait to be the grumpy old guy who sits in his front yard and looks unpleasant. While sitting and frowning at the world, I would probably sit in an old faded lawn chair and wear a wispy straw hat, a comfortable solid colored cotton t-shirt, loose fitting blue jeans, and some old man loafers covering my favorite pair of white socks. Even if I didn't need it, I'd like to carry a cane or a walking stick. It's possible that I would use it for pointing at things that annoy me. For my face, I'll still sport a pair of glasses, probably bi-focals or tri-focals at that point. I'd better be able to see... Lord knows I won't be able to hear.
This lifestyle appeals to me. It seems quiet, calm, and introspective; a lifestyle where I can get up in the morning, grumble at the paper over a cup of coffee, and have some toast and a bran muffin. During the day, I can slowly shuffle around the house, straighten out the end table I bumped yesterday on my way by, and sit down in my easy chair for a brief three hour nap. That would take care of the morning. Next up, a light lunch, and maybe a quick drive to the hardware store in my old pickup truck. After I get home, I'd have to sit in the front yard for awhile, doze in the shade, and then watch people walk by on the sidewalk. At some point, I'd do six or seven minutes worth of good hard work, like pickup of a stray twig and throwing it the garbage. Next I'd yawn, stretch, and call it an afternoon. Dinner and thereafter would be a wild-card. Cards? Book? Nap? Who knows!
Perfect Day? I hope so. I'm looking forward to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment